A Mom's Perspective

Saturday, June 20, 2009

To My husband On Fathers Day

When we met you were just a 15 year old boy,
The boy in the Red Hobie Jacket.
Everyone was talking about you that year at camp.
They said you had just gotten saved but you preached like a pro.
When I first saw you you were standing on top of a van pleading with the lost for their souls

The next thing I knew you joined my team.
I was shocked because it was the clean up crew.
I remember you with your arms in the sink doing piles of dishes .
I heard rumers you joined just to meet me.

On the last day of camp, you showed up at my dorm.
and declared your crush outside my window.
All the girls were jealous, I was embarassed.
but I still have that letter.


I thought it was just a summer crush and we were so very young.
But soon I found out as I returned home that you were very serious.
In no time at all you were there in West Virginia.
Mom and Dad asked you to speak at the service that night.

I knew on that night that I would be your bride.
Dad, Mom and Jerry all were in tears as you ended the sermon.
It was so simple, you just preached the cross.
But you had won the love and respect of my family.

In a just a few years we were married.
One year later our Amber was born.
I never loved you more than when I saw you with our daughter.
16 months later Ashton was born and you thought they walked on water.

You were a wonderful Daddy,
everyday you came home with a "prize" for them.
they were always watching at the door for you.
You played with them read to them and spent happy hours watching cartoons.

Do you remember them always piling in our bed?
You told them silly stories and sang them ballads
like a boy named Sue and silly rap songs.
You were conquered by two sweet lttle girls.

Hannah was born a few years later.
she almost died that night but you rode with her in the helicopter.
Praying all the way, I never saw you so worried.
We held each other and cried in the elevater begging God to heal her.

God asnswered our prayers and we spoiled that little girl.
And we're paying for that yet. She is our baby to this day.
You taught them how to ride bikes and fish and camp.
Holidays and vacations your always the funny one.

Then they became the dreaded teen-agers.
And you worried and cried and prayed.
Many family meetings I bet you didn't think they were listening.
But I know they were, you should hear them brag about you.

I've held your hand through these times, good and bad.
Sometimes I do and say things that I shouldn't.
I'm a Mom and your a Dad and sometimes our perspectives are different.
But one thing I know is how much you love and would gladly give all you have for them.

Thank you for loving us and working so hard to provide for us, I know thats it's not easy.
Thank you for being honest and a real man of God and doing what is right even when it cost us.
Thank you for loving both of our parents and always caring for them and honoring them.
Thank you for crying with us and laughing with us and living "happily in a house full of girls.
They will always know what a "real" man is because you are their father.

I know we're not perfect parents but we have this common bond.
There is nothing in this world that is more precious than these three beautiful girls,
They've seen you live a life, sometimes full of strife but they know that their Dad is so REAL.
So the prayers that you've prayed I know are not in vain because of your example,

So I love you so much more today then I did way back then.
I'd never trade one day of this life that we've lived even though at times it's been tough.
And I'll stand by your side for the whole ride, We're in this until the very end.
I want you to know that we are so proud of you and we know the price you have paid.
You are our very own hero, my husband and one of the very best Daddies to 3 beautiful girls.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How beautiful! What a lovely tribute to the man you married so many years ago!
What lucky daughters you have to have the both of you as parents!
I am touched.
I wish I could meet you both - it is truly an amazing gift to meet such Godly parents as you!

June 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home