A Mom's Perspective

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My story

I have been thinking about new years resolutions and goals today and I'm going to attempt something I've planned to do all my life. I'm going to write my story! It's intimidating and a little scary because I'm going to start at the beginning and tell it all, the good and happy parts and the sad and troubling parts. The things I'm proud of and the things I wish were not a part of my history. I've been told by so many people, "You should write a book." Well I'm not really that accomplished and trust me I know I'm not very important but for some unknown reason I've seen and experienced enough for more than one lifetime. I can write a blog for myself and possibly my three beautiful daughters who strive to understand their heritage, so here goes.........Oh and by the way don't feel you have to read it, It's my story and like me it will certainly be imperfect and flawed.


My Life, My Journey.

My story starts one bright autumn morning in the city of Akron Ohio.
Born September 20, 1967. I was a welcome addition born late in life to two of the most humble, holy and giving human beings on the planet, I was the fourth child born to J.B. and Arlis Mae Murrell. She was 40 and he was 53, brought into a busy, happy family with an older sister Sherry Lee Murrell 16 and a big brother Jerry Jay Murrell 8, and an older sister Darlene Murrell in heaven who would have been 19 had she not died 7 years earlier on October 26,1960. I was given a form of her name Darla Mae Murrell and I was joyously welcomed as a child of restoration they hoped would complete their family and dull the pain of the loss they had suffered seven years earlier. Their oldest daughter, Darlene had died of a obscure and litttle known disease called Scleroderma. It had been an earth shattering and dark time for my parents who were at the time followers and lovers of Jesus. My parents had come to know the lord in the healing movements and tent meetings of the 1940's, they had then forsaken everything to follow blindly without reservation their Savior, healer and lover. Soon after her death they accepted the call to plant and pastor a small interracial store front church in the worst neighborhood of the city of Akron during the racial unrest of the 1960's.

So I was lovingly brought home to a little inner city church, a small community outreach. they actually lived in a little store front church in Akron, 641 South Arlington Street. It was more than a church it was a mission and they gave their every waking moment to it. So it was there my life began it was humble and holy. Days started with prayer and God's word and the hungry were fed at our very table, the sick were prayed for, Demons were cast out and lives were restored. Unwanted youth and lost children were welcomed in and became family. It was a hospital for the hurting, a lighthouse for the searching and a home for the homeless.

Meanwhile I learned to talk, Jesus one of my first words. My baby lips learned prayer as quickly as speaking and hymns became my first songs. I really did take my first steps in church and cut my teeth on the old wooden pews. Everyday ended on our knees as a family listening to God's word and my parents crying out to God for souls.

I am amazed at their tenacity, faith and strength even now. I have heard the stories of their fight for my sisters life. Of fasting and all night prayer meetings, taking her to the great healing revivals. Then their ability to let go that night she told them she had seen Jesus and he was coming to take her home. She went home to be with Jesus that next morning. They were so amazingly pure that they never questioned or blamed God but were somehow so eternally minded they could accept it as a blessing. Their theology is clear in my Mother's writings at the time. I am in awe as I remember their suffering and see their hope in eternity, It was more than theology, they had more than an experience they walked with God! They knew him and he knew them!

One treasure I have been left with besides a Godly, living heritage, is the written words of my dear mother. She was a writer like no other and everything in our life was chronicled and preserved so I leave you now with her words. Notice the phrase "infinite mercy" She uses the word MERCY to describe her loss.I'm afraid had it been me in that situation I would have most likely questioned God and I'm afraid I would have angrily blamed him for taking my child. Not my Mother, somehow she saw this traumatic event as his mercy and blessing and whats more she could be thankful to him for holding her sweet baby safely in his arms.


Safe in the Arms of Jesus

Several years ago, With heads bowed low,
On a hill side so grassy and green,
We laid her to rest where none could molest
Our jewel, Our Precious Darlene.

Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Cradled in Gods great love,
She'll sleep through the long night of darkness,
Till twilight breaks through from above.

And when deaths dark night has ended,
When Jesus returns in all power,
Darlene shall arise and awaken,
transformed as a beautiful flower.


She's at peace now with Him

Her frail little body lies cold in the grave,
But that's just the house where she lived.
Her soul was washed white! Praise the Lord she was saved!
Her spirit returned unto him!

Her soul was too pure and too precious,
To dwell in this temple of clay.
So God in his Infinite mercy,
So graciously called her away.

Away from disease and suffering,
Away from this world of sin.
Her heartaches and sorrows are over,
For she is at peace now with him.

Some beautiful glorious morning,
When Jesus appears in the skies,
The trumpet shall sound without warning,
And those who are sleeping shall rise.

All glory in heaven shall open,
And time on this earth shall cease,
Darlene shall awaken that morning,
when kissed by the great king of peace.


Asleep in the Arms Of Jesus
Just beyond this veil of sorrow,
Is a beautiful priceless pearl.
Asleep in the arms of Jesus
Is a dear little precious girl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Volk said...

you're amazing!! I will read your book!! :) Love you!

January 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home